The ACT has recorded its first death in the current COVID-19 outbreak, as 19 new cases are reported.

The death of the man in his 90s was announced on Monday.

He was a resident of an aged care facility in Bruce, Chief Minister Andrew Barr said.

“The man had been receiving end-of-life care at the Calvary Haydon aged care facility, prior to being diagnosed with COVID-19,” he said.

“He had been extremely unwell prior to contracting COVID-19.

“This is the first death where COVID has been a contributing factor in this current outbreak.

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has announced the death of a man with COVID-19. File image.
ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has announced the death of a man with COVID-19. File image. Credit: Lukas Coch/AAP

“Our thoughts today are with the man’s family and friends at this difficult time.”

Barr said 17 of the new cases are linked to previous cases, while the other two are under investigation.

Eight of the new patients had spent at least part of the infectious period in the community.

There are eight people in ACT hospitals with COVID-19.

Barr also announced a series of lockdown restrictions will ease.

From Friday, October 1, two people able to visit another household and the time limit a person can spend out of their home for exercise will be doubled from two to four hours.

Outdoor boot camps can recommence with no more than two people, excluding a staff member who runs the service,

Non-essential retail businesses will be able to operate click-and-collect and click-and-deliver services.

Nature parks in the ACT will reopen.

ACT records first COVID-19 death amid ongoing outbreak, 19 new cases
Source:
Source 1

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here