The number of aged care homes visited by one of two COVID-positive healthcare workers in Adelaide and the Adelaide Hills has risen to 22.

Key points:

  • Five aged care homes in Adelaide have had COVID-positive visitors
  • COVID-19 exposure sites have been named in Adelaide’s CBD and suburbs
  • One of them is from 11 days ago

Earlier, authorities said five aged care homes had been closed to visitors after the COVID-19 case attended, while a sixth facility was still allowing visitors.

It was yesterday revealed that two healthcare workers infected with the virus had visited aged care facilities, but authorities did not name the sites.

Infection control and testing measures have been put in place in affected facilities.

SA Health said the exposures “were not widespread” across the facilities and all test results so far had been negative.

St Paul’s Lutheran Homes in Hahndorf and House of Saint Hilarion in Seaton have signs outside them saying they have gone into lockdown.

Society of Saint Hilarion chief executive Carol Davy said a vaccinated allied health worker visited the property last Friday and SA Health informed the organisation on Monday that the person had tested positive for COVID-19.

“Saint Hilarion immediately implemented their detailed COVID pandemic plan and communicated with residents and families about these strategies,” Dr Davy said.

“Testing of residents and staff occurred on December 14 and we are currently awaiting results.

“Daily updates are being provided to all stakeholders, additional staff rostered, and extra cleaning shifts scheduled.”

A sign on a fence

A sign outside House of Saint Hilarion in Seaton, an aged care home that a positive COVID-19 case visited.(Supplied)

Warrina Homes wrote on its website that its Campbelltown centre was not accepting visitors and that residents would have to stay at home after a visit from a COVID-positive doctor.

“Transmission-based precautions for two residents and two staff members have now been put in place, including COVID-testing and isolating until further directives from SA Health are received,” Warrina Homes chief executive Andrew Curle said.

“We’d like to assure you that we are in constant communication with SA Health and following their directions regarding the situation and that they are providing ongoing support.”

UnitingSA says its aged care homes at West Lakes and Seaton are not allowing visitors after a COVID-positive doctor visited last Friday and Saturday.

“UnitingSA is pleased to advise that all residents who came into contact with the medical practitioner have returned negative test results as part of the initial round of testing,” the organisation said in a statement.

“As a precautionary measure, and in line with SA Health advice, UnitingSA yesterday temporarily closed its West Lakes and Seaton Aged Care facilities to visitors.

“UnitingSA is continuing to work closely with SA Health and is awaiting further directives.”

A sign outside an aged care home in English, Polish and Russian

UnitingSA’s Seaton Aged Care home which is closed to visitors.(ABC News: Evelyn Manfield)

Visitors are still allowed at Westminster Village Aged Care in Grange, which is also run by UnitingSA.

A letter to family members of residents at said a doctor infected with COVID-19 visited on Saturday, but they only came into contact with one resident, who was sent into quarantine.

Nightclubs and restaurants exposure sites

SA Health last night listed nine new close contact exposure sites for COVID-19 in Adelaide, with some dating back to the start of this month.

Those announced included the Atlantis Bar and Lounge, the Plain Jane Bar, The Meat & Wine Co, Zhivago and Elementary Coffee in Adelaide’s CBD.

Suburban sites included Dumpling Lab at Burnside Village, the front waiting area of the Holden Hill police station, the Derrimut 24/7 Gym in Norwood and the Port Adelaide Cricket Club. 

A canopy over a door

The Meat & Wine Co has been listed as an exposure site on four separate days.(ABC News: Eugene Boisvert)

The earliest date named as an exposure site was Atlantis Lounge Bar for Saturday, December 4.

Eight lower-risk exposure sites were named, including some in Adelaide’s southern suburbs, but only one in Willunga — the Willunga Football Club last Wednesday — despite hundreds of children attending a whole school assembly at the local primary school with a positive COVID-19 case last Friday.

The Courts Administration Authority also yesterday advised a positive case attended the Adelaide Magistrates Court level 1 staff-only registry and two courtrooms last week.

Loading

It says SA Health is in the process of reaching out to any close contacts.

The state recorded 12 new cases of coronavirus yesterday. 

Eight were adults between 20 and 60 years old and four were children under 12.

You can find information on testing site hours and the nearest site to you on the SA Health website.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

Play Video. Duration: 2 minutes 35 seconds

Why we hear about some COVID-19 variants more than others

Loading form…

Posted , updated 

Adelaide aged care homes visited by COVID-positive healthcare worker rises to 22
Source:
Source 1

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here