One person is dead and 13 others were injured in a mass shooting in Austin’s downtown entertainment district early Saturday.
The Austin Police Department identified the slain suspect as Douglas John Kantor, 25, after he succumbed to his injuries Sunday afternoon.
Another victim was listed in critical condition and 12 were in stable condition, the Austin Police Department said.
More than 12 hours after the shooting, the department announced Saturday evening that one of two suspects was in custody. The U.S. Marshals Lone Star Fugitive Task Force assisted with the arrest, police said.
“We continue to work on this case and follow up on leads to apprehend the remaining suspect,” the department said in a statement.
Interim Police Chief Joseph Chacon has not released more information on the two suspects but had earlier said he believes both men will be successfully taken into custody.
After the gunfire was reported at 1:24 a.m. local time, “a large crowd” dispersed, police said.
The shooting appeared to be an isolated incident between two parties, Chacon said at a news conference, adding that most victims were “innocent bystanders.”
Chacon commended officers’ quick actions — he said they ran to victims, applied tourniquets and performed CPR — which he said played a role in avoiding fatalities.
Austin Mayor Steve Adler tweeted, “The uptick in gun violence locally is part of a disturbing rise in gun violence across the country as we exit the pandemic.”
“APD and the City Council have initiated multiple violence prevention efforts in response- but this crisis requires a broader, coordinated response from all levels of government. One thing is clear – greater access to firearms does not equal greater public safety,” Adler said.
Adler added, “We are fortunate not to have any fatalities but remain concerned for the two individuals in critical condition.”
Any witnesses or people with information are urged to call the police, Chacon said.