JBS, the world’s largest meat processor, has confirmed it is on schedule to resume production at all of their facilities tomorrow, Australian time.
- JBS says it will be back to full capacity on Friday, Australian time
- The cyber attack affected 100,000 workers in the US and 11,000 in Australia
- The quick recovery should minimise the impact on the meat industry and food supply
The company said in a statement that it had made “significant progress” in restoring its IT systems in order to get back to “business as normal.”
Earlier this week, JBS USA confirmed the company was targeted by an organised cyber attack on Sunday, which paralysed its operations in North America and Australia.
Around 100,000 workers have been affected at JBS operations in the US as well as workers in Pilgrim’s Pride, the largest chicken producer in the US, which is owned by JBS.
The statement was issued overnight by JBS USA chief executive Andre Nogueira.
Close to full capacity
“Today, the vast majority of our facilities resumed operations as we forecast yesterday, including all of our pork, poultry and prepared foods facilities around the world and the majority of our beef facilities in the US and Australia,” he said in the statement.
“Given the progress, our teams have made to address this situation, we anticipate operating at close to full capacity across our global operations tomorrow,” Mr Nogueira said.
Unions in Tasmania have confirmed that their members are going back to work on Friday in that state while workers at the Dinmore in Queensland are reportedly set to start Monday or Tuesday.
Meat analyst, Simon Quilty welcomed the news that they are up and running again.
“To their credit, JBS has done a terrific job in bringing the wheels of commerce back into line again and producing.”
“The good news is that they’re back up and running but are they at full strength? No.”
He estimates it will take one to two weeks before they get back to full capacity around the world.
The company is massive in the meat industry representing just under one-quarter of the beef kill in North America and just above one-quarter of Australia’s beef kill.
There is no further information on the source of the attack which is believed to be a Russian crime gang.