South Australia’s coronavirus outbreak has grown by one case as residents in the state wake up to their first day of a seven-day lockdown.

Premier Steven Marshall announced the new case on Wednesday morning.

The case, which takes SA’s outbreak to six cases, dined at The Greek on Halifax on Saturday night.

There are fears a private event at the restaurant over the weekend has become a super spreader event.

People previously infected with the virus were present in the restaurant at the same time.

A view of The Greek on Halifax.
A view of The Greek on Halifax. Credit: Google Maps

A case confirmed on Tuesday had also attended the restaurant, before later testing positive to the Delta variant of the virus.

Residents in lockdown

Residents across SA have woken up to the first day of a seven-day lockdown, which was announced after a fifth case of COVID was recorded on Tuesday.

Marshall said the level 5 restrictions apply to the entire state, with people given only five reasons to leave their homes, including for care and compassion, for essential work, shopping for essential goods, for medical reasons and for exercise.

All non-essential shops, schools, universities, holiday accommodation, cafes, pubs, restaurants and construction sites are closed.

Elective surgeries have been put on hold, and weddings, funerals and real estate open inspections and auctions are also postponed.

Nicola Spurrier
Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier has urged everyone to stay home. Credit: AAP

Chief Health Officer Nicola Spurrier urged everyone, especially those in isolation, to stay at home.

“The virus doesn’t have legs, it moves around when people move around,” she said on Tuesday.

“So if people stay put we will able to get on top of it.”

SA COVID outbreak grows as residents wake to first day of lockdown
Source:
Source 1

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here